Monday, June 2, 2008

Ouch! But not too bad...

A couple of weeks ago, Mike was playing basketball down at the church gym and called me around 9:30 or so. I had just arrived at a friend's house and I thought that he was just calling to have me come and pick him up. He did want me to pick him up, but he also added that he had broken his nose. Actually, a law student, Spencer, that goes to church with us, had collided with him - hitting his head against his nose and causing the break. Luckily, we have a bunch of different residents that also go to church with us, so Mike was able to call an ENT resident and get a late night consult over the phone. We decided not to go to the ER and Mike had an appointment the next morning before 9 AM. We lucked out again and it turned out that they would be able to fix his nose the next morning. So, less than 48 hours after the injury, Mike was back home with a little white cast over his nose, but at least it was back to being straight. But, there is a twist to this whole story... About a year ago, Mike was playing football with some friends from church (he plays football almost every Saturday with them) and he had a collision with a law student, Patrick, and ended up on the giving instead of the receiving end of the broken nose that time... Funny how things work out. But Mike didn't even have it half as bad as Patrick - he didn't get the black eyes that Patrick had - all he got was the cast.

3 comments:

mattnalisa said...

Mike-I love the cast! Seriously you should keep wearing it even though you don't have to :)

Hymas Family said...

I saved Mike's picture to our computer so I can print it off for Patrick! Who would have guessed they'd both have nose casts?! I'm glad we have pictures or no one would believe the coincidence!

Cheryl said...

I'm glad it healed and everything turned out OK. It doesn't look too bad from the picture. Looking forward to seeing you soon.